What? How? Where?
What? VolViewer is used for viewing volume images from, for example, confocal microscopy or optical projection tomography (OPT).
- Real-time volume rendering using an optimized 3D texture slicing algorithm.
- Interactive transfer functions to independently adjust opacity and intensity for up to three data channels.
- Real-time per channel thresholding, brightness and contrast operators.
- On-the-fly gradient computation for local illumination.
- Iso-surface computation with surface smoothing.
- Section viewing in any orientation / position.
- Real-time volume clipping.
- 3D measurements, filters & segmentation.
- Key frame interpolation for movie export.
- Stereo rendering using either quad buffer or anaglyph mode.
- Scripting interface to other systems, e.g. Matlab, OMERO, etc.
How? It is open source and written in C++ using OpenGL, OpenCL and Qt.
Where? Binaries are available for the Windows, Mac OS X and Linux, see below.
Requirements: An OpenGL 2.1 / GLSL 1.20 compatible GPU with a recomended 512MB of memory.
|Quick Guide||TUTORIALS||Video Demos||SCRIPTING|
|Antirinhium Meristem||Arabidopsis Seedling||Arabidopsis Leaf (GL2:GUS expression in red)||Arabidopsis Leaf (Ath8:::GUS expression in red)|
* all data courtesy of Karen Lee 
Although we try to keep up to date builds these sometimes lag behind the SVN trunk. So if you want the latest version / features, it is best to build the application from the trunk of the SVN. The build system is based on qmake for easy cross platform compilation.
OpenGL + Qt + OpenCL + LibTIFF + OMERO
|Windows (32bit)||Windows (64bit)||Linux||MacOS X (i386/x86_64/10.5+)|
OpenGL + Qt + LibTIFF
- Coming soon.
Windows Specific Notes
- You may need to install the corresponding Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package which can be found here: 32bit and 64bit.
- WindowsXP users will need to change the view_gldrawbuffer = "GL_FRONT_AND_BACK" to view_gldrawbuffer = "GL_BACK" in the settings.ini file.
- The binaries are built with OMERO 4.3.4 support.
Building from source
VolViewer has appeared in the following:
Cell: Online Gallery | Front cover: Handbook of Plant Science | Front cover: The Plant Cell | American Scientist | Royal Microscopical Society: Infocus Magazine | Bundled with the Bioptonic 3001 scanner: Bioptonics Viewer | The Daily Mail | The Guardian newspaper: 3D Fruit fly | Qt Ambassador program | Triffid Nurseries website
- Dr Jerome Avondo Supported by the BBSRC through UEA Computing School and JIC.